NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero, in Spanish). This is a foreigner's tax identification number required here in Spain.
Any resident or non-resident foreign national with financial affairs in Spain, regardless of whether they are EU citizens or from a non EU country they must have an NIE number.
Anyone with any financial, professional or social interests here in Spain will need this personal identification number. The NIE is necessary for any fiscal transactions in Spain where there is money paid to the
Spanish Inland Revenue office. The NIE number should be quoted in all contact with Spanish tax authorities. The number appears on all documents that are issued in Spain.
An NIE is required to:
- Open a bank account
- To buy, sell or insure a property
- To obtain a mortgage
- Pay any taxes
- Aim to take up employment
- Aim to apply to apply for a business permit and to start a business
- Need to register with social services or arrange receipt of social security
- Wish to obtain a driver’s licence
Obtaining an NIE Number
In May 2013 the process for the application of NIE numbers has been changed. An appointment now has to be made with the department for the application of this document, whether it be by an individual or an appropriate company working on your behalf. So please consider this time into your buying or renting process
Applying for an NIE number
Your application for an NIE can be made at a police station that has a foreigners' department (Oficina de Extranjeros in Spanish) or you can contact your local regional government; either in person or through a representative/translator.
Documents will you need to supply
- You will need to complete an application form, in Spanish, this is called a Solicitud de Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) y Certificados (form EX-15), it needs to be filled out and signed, Think Spanish Properties can help you with this. We always recommend that you do not sign the completed application form until you are in the presence of an official.
- You will need a receipt for payment of the fee that will be stamped by the bank where you make the payment.
- You will require an identity card or original passport and (a photocopy of each).
- Finally two passport photographs.